You’ve been paying more money to gas up your Chevy Silverado as of late. After some troubleshooting, you noticed that this issue appeared because of a drop in the vehicle’s efficiency. So now you’re wondering what you can do to solve this problem. We researched and asked experts about this concern and here’s the information we found.
The following are some techniques you can use to help increase your Chevy Silverado’s fuel efficiency:
- Maintain fuel injector cleanliness
- Clean the engine air filter
- Replace the engine air filter
These procedures might look like they have straightforward steps. But miss a few details and you might commit mistakes. So continue reading to learn the details for these processes and restore your Silverado’s normal fuel economy.
How Can I Make My Chevy Silverado More Fuel Efficient?
Oftentimes, you don’t need a complete overhaul to make your Chevy Silverado more efficient. Achieving this goal may only require you to have a keen driver’s awareness while taking proper care of this pickup truck.
Here are some ways to help enhance your Chevy Silverado’s fuel efficiency:
Maintain Fuel Injector Cleanliness
A fuel injector’s job is to spray fuel into other assemblies to power the vehicle, particularly a Chevy Silverado. But carbon deposits may clog the injector’s outlet, reducing fuel efficiency. So follow these steps to clean your Chevy Silverado’s fuel injector and normalize its fuel economy:
What You’ll Need
- Fuel injection kit
- Check your vehicle’s owner’s manual for the location of the fuel injector.
- Disconnect the fuel pump fuse and fuel line to prevent gas from flowing to the fuel injector.
- Connect the fuel injection cleaning kit to the assembly.
- Turn on the vehicle’s engine, allowing the cleaning solution to enter the fuel injector assembly.
- Deactivate the Silverado once the engine starts shaking.
- Reconnect the fuel pump fuse and fuel line.
Check out this fuel injection system cleaning kit on Amazon.
Warning: Don’t point the fuel injection kit at your face as you disconnect it. Pressure might still be present within the container after the operation. So removing the tube from the fuel injector might result in a slight yet fairly powerful spray. Wearing a protective eye cover can help mitigate eye irritation and injuries for this procedure.
You can also watch the video below for a visual guide for this cleaning operation:
Clean The Engine Air Filter
A Chevy Silverado’s engine air filter can become dirty over time. If left unchecked, it may reduce the truck’s fuel efficiency because some assemblies may not receive sufficient air. This issue can also lead to other issues, such as poor cabin air quality.
So follow these steps to maintain your Silverado’s air filter’s cleanliness:
What You’ll Need
- Engine air filter cleaning kit
- Automotive air filter recharge kit
- Air compressor
- Garden hose
- Microfiber cloth
- Park the Silverado on safe and flat terrain.
- Let the engine cool before opening the hood.
- Locate the air intake box under the hood and remove its top cover.
- Unscrew the engine air filter and remove it from the box.
- Use an airbrush connected to an air compressor to blow the loose dirt from the filter.
- Apply the cleaning solution to help break up the grime on the filter.
- Allow the filter and cleaning solution to sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Rinse the air filter with running water from the garden hose.
- Spray the outside of the filter with the oil from the recharge kit.
- Let the oil dry. Then, wipe the excess with a clean microfiber cloth.
- Reinstall the filter to the Silverado’s air intake box and close the container.
Check out this engine air filter cleaning kit on Amazon.
The video below will also give you additional insight into this procedure:
Replace The Engine Air Filter
Take note that you should replace your Silverado’s engine air filter at least once per 15,000 to 30,000 miles. Continuous usage of the truck’s air filter after that range may cause its fuel economy to drop.
You can follow these general steps to replace your Chevy Silverado’s engine air filter:
What You’ll Need
- Compatible replacement engine air filter
- Allow the engine to cool before opening the hood.
- Locate and open the air intake box in the engine block.
- Unscrew the old engine air filter and replace it with the new unit.
- Secure the new engine air filter and close the air intake box.
Check out this replacement Chevy Silverado engine air filter on Amazon.
Take note that you may need to comply with unique steps before you can complete the engine air filter replacement on a specific Chevy Silverado unit. So consult your owner's manual or ask for help from the carmaker's customer service hotline if you need help with this process.
Also, you can check out the video below for a visual representation of the steps mentioned above:
Is Silverado 1500 Good On Gas?
The Chevy Silverado should have one of the best fuel economies in the automotive industry, particularly within the pickup truck sector. That’s assuming that your Silverado 1500 doesn’t have issues with its systems that might otherwise reduce its fuel efficiency.
In particular, the 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with an 8-cylinder engine gets an estimated fuel economy of 16 miles per gallon for city driving, and 22 miles per gallon for highway driving. These readings should sum up to an average of 18 miles per gallon for combined city and highway usage.
In comparison, the 2021 Ford F150 with a 6-cylinder engine has an estimated fuel economy of about 19 miles per gallon for city driving, 24 miles per gallon for highway driving, and combined use of 21 miles per gallon.
What Pickup Truck Has The Best Fuel Economy?
Aside from the Chevy Silverado, other pickup trucks that can provide excellent fuel economy are:
1. 2017 Dodge Ram 1500
With the help of the carmaker’s TorqueFlite 8-speed transmission, this pickup truck has 20 miles per gallon for its estimated fuel economy for city driving. Users may also experience 26 miles per gallon for its fuel economy for highway driving.
Apart from the 8-speed transmission, the 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 has an engine that optimizes fuel use. Other standard features include a locking tailgate, a 6-speaker sound system, and 17-inch wheels.
2. 2019 Ford F150
This Ford F150 has a V6 diesel engine that does a good job of managing fuel usage. Along with the 10-speed automatic transmission, this pickup truck can achieve an estimated fuel economy of 21 miles per gallon for city driving and 28 miles per gallon for highway driving.
Restoring your Chevy Silverado’s fuel efficiency may not need you to complete extensive repairs. As the truck’s owner, you may only need to accomplish a few DIY-friendly tasks, such as cleaning the engine air filter and/or the fuel injector kit. But consult the help of a trustworthy automotive repair shop if your Silverado’s fuel economy didn’t normalize after applying the procedures mentioned in this post.
If you liked this post, these other great reads can give you the answer to more truck concerns:
Chevy Truck Not Shifting Gears—Why And What To Do?